EP 137 | Profit Boss® Radio
Welcome to episode 137 of Profit Boss® Radio! In this episode, we are discussing the FIRE movement with Tanja Hester. The word FIRE is an acronym for Financial Independence, Retire Early. There are plenty of reasons why people want to leave the workforce and retire early, but how much do you need to have saved up in your nest egg to make that a reality? That is just one of the important questions Tanja and I cover in today’s show.
You won’t want to miss this week’s show where Tanja talks about how she and her husband were able to retire at the age of 38 and what steps they took to make that possible. Take a deep dive into Tanja’s journey toward financial independence and early retirement. If you have been wanting to understand and learn more about the FIRE movement, and how you can accomplish this for your life this episode is for you. Thank you to Tanja Hester for joining me today to help shed light on how anyone can make this possible in their own life.
Here’s what you’ll find out in this week’s episode of Profit Boss® Radio:
What You’ll Find Out in this Episode:
- The things you need to take into consideration that could allow you to achieve financial independence.
- How your lifestyle costs correlate with your savings rate (how much you need for your nest egg).
- How to think about an investment strategy that could produce income for the rest of your life.
- How where you plan to live after you retire plays a significant role in your ability to retire early.
- How to factor your insurance needs into your long-term retirement planning.
- How you can bulletproof your financial life before you stop working.
- How you can alter your savings plan to reach your FIRE goal.
- How Tanya and her husband were able to quit the workforce at 38-years-old and the steps they took to make it possible.
- The financial buying traps to avoid if you want to retire early.
- How to know when you have saved enough money to be able to retire.
- How a multi-faceted financial plan can help you now and protect you later in life.
- What it means to constrain your lifestyle versus increasing your spending.
- Why you should save 30x your annual income plus have a contingency plan when you are determining your retirement strategy.
- What you should consider when determining health insurance in retirement.
- How is Tanja’s life in retirement versus when she was working.
- The top things that Tanja would do differently in her financial journey knowing what she knows now.
- What the different phases of retirement are and how you can plan for each one.
- Why creating multiple streams of income supports early retirement.
- How you can plan to retire without touching retirement resources that would come with early withdrawal penalties.
- How to balance your time as a retired person no matter your age.
- Get an overview of Tanja’s book, Work Optional Retire Early Non Penny Pinching and her podcast, The Fairer Cents.
About Tanja Hester
Tanja Hester worked as a consultant before retiring at age 38 to live a life of adventure and creativity with her husband, Mark Bunge. She is the writer of the award-winning blog Our Next Life, an influencer within the FIRE (financial independence/retire early) movement, a columnist for MarketWatch, and co-host of The Fairer Cents podcast about women and financial equality. After spending most of her career in Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles, she now lives in Lake Tahoe with Mark and two dogs.
Connect on social
- Twitter: @our_nextlife (The very best way to get a response quickly!)
- Instagram: @our_nextlife
- Facebook: ournextlife
- Pinterest: our_nextlife
Resources and Related Profit Boss® Content Mentioned in this Episode
Enjoy The Show?
- Be sure to subscribe to Profit Boss® Weekly so that you get our latest announcements, offers, articles, and resources straight to your inbox!
- Don't miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review on iTunes and share the show with your friends
- Interested in taking your next right step? Join our Interest List for the $50k Wealth Multiplier Mastermind
- Don’t miss out on the 7 Steps to Wealth Audio Guide! It’s free and comes with weekly emails that walk you through each step.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
- Initiate a conversation about your wealth planning and take the relationship to the next level
Call for Listener Stories
Hey Profit Boss® Radio listeners! If you reach a financial goal you’re proud of, tell me about it! I will continue to share listener win stories throughout 2019. Remember, the Profit Boss® community is here to support you and that includes celebrating with you when you accomplish something incredible.
- If you crush a specific financial goal, I want to hear from you.
- If you’re thankful for something that has happened in your financial life or career, I want to hear from you.
- If you are making big financial or career plans, I want to hear from you!
Your financial success is possible and so many of you are already making that a reality! So, don’t keep your wins to yourself! Share them with me so that I can air them throughout the year on Profit Boss® Radio.
Email your audio clip to firstname.lastname@example.org. And we’ll be in touch if we plan to air your story. Thanks, ladies!
And let’s not forget that this show is powered by you and your stories and questions. Every month I’ll be doing an #AskHilary episode where I answer listener financial questions.
- So, what’s that top of mind money question that’s been pinging around in your brain?
- Where have you been stopped?
- What have you been arguing with your spouse or significant other about?
- What tip or tool aren’t you sure about?
- Do you have questions about saving? Spending? Budgeting? Investing?
Pick up your mobile phone right now. Yes, right now. And open your voice recorder app. Yep, go ahead and open that app and record yourself asking me that question. Just say your name, first name only is okay, and then what city you’re from, and then ask away.
Anything you want to ask. And once you’re done recording, export that beautiful little recording and email it to email@example.com.
I can’t wait to hear your questions!
Hendershott Wealth Management, LLC and Profit Boss® Radio do not make specific investment recommendations on Profit Boss® Radio or in any public media. We also do not feature testimonials or endorsements about our services.