Welcome to The Retirement Years on Profit Boss® Radio episode 145! In this show, we discuss an extremely timely and scary topic: identity protection. I am so excited to have Adam Levin, founder of CyberScout, co-founder of credit.com and author of the critically acclaimed book Swiped, joining me for this show. Levin is a nationally recognized expert on cybersecurity, privacy, identity theft, fraud, and personal finance. He has distinguished himself for the last forty years as a fierce consumer advocate, and we are lucky he shares his insights with the Profit Boss® community!
You don’t want to miss this week’s show where Levin answers the important questions like, “Why you should be concerned about protecting your identity?” and “How you can protect your identity?” So many people have asked him, “Why should I be worried about someone stealing my identity…I am a regular person?” But to a hacker, phisher or identity thief, you are Kim Kardashian. Join us as we take a deep dive into the world of identity protection. This episode contains many pertinent tips and facts that you can apply today to help safeguard your financial life.
Thank you to Adam Levin for joining me today to help open our eyes on the importance of identity protection. Tune in to this week’s episode as we begin our discussion about how to protect your identity.
Here’s what you’ll find out in this week’s episode of Profit Boss® Radio
- Why a hacker, phisher, or identity thief is interested in your identity
- How can identity theft disrupts your life
- How the authentication problem can be the solution
- How can you be confident that the bank will refund your money in the event of fraud
- The benefit of carrying credit cards over debit cards
- How long you have to report fraud in your personal or business checking accounts
- What to do when you refuse to share your social security number with an organization
- Why you should not authenticate yourself when a business contacts you
- The different types of hackers that exist today
- What is phishing and spear phishing
- Why Levin recommends freezing your credit
- Tips for creating passwords
- Benefits of utilizing a password manager
- How you should you handle mail and physical documents
- What precautions and safeguards you should take when traveling
- Whether or not your computer be accessed if someone hacks your personal network
- How using a connected device can expose your identity
- BONUS! MoneyWise Segment: Resulting
- What is resulting and how it affects you
- What are the best and worst decisions you have made
- Why it is best to follow future statistical data when it comes to decision making
- What is Adam Levin’s 3M Identity Theft Protection Framework and how to use it
- What are some identity theft or protection companies that Levin recommends
- Why it is important to do research when it comes to protecting your identity
- What is the Three Portfolio Theory and how it applies to your financial life
Resources and Related Profit Boss® Content Mentioned in this Episode
About Guest Adam Levin
Adam Levin is a consumer advocate with more than 40 years of experience in security, privacy, personal finance, real estate and government service. A former director of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, Adam is chairman and founder of CyberScout and co-founder of Credit.com. He is the author of “Swiped: How to Protect Yourself in a World Full of Scammers, Phishers, and Identity Thieves.”
Adam is an expert on cyber security, identity management and identity theft resolution. He wrote a weekly column for Huffington Post and ABC.com, and frequently contributes to other major media outlets such as Yahoo! AOL, MSN, Business Insider and TIME. He has also been a contributor to The Hill, Hollywood Reporter, WIRED and Bloomberg View. He is a frequent guest on television, and has appeared on Fox News, Fox Business News, Good Morning America, MSNBC, CNBC, Fox & Friends, CBS Evening News, ABC World News Tonight, and scores of radio stations throughout the country. His own show, Credit Line with Adam Levin, ran on KFWB in Los Angeles.
To learn more about Adam Levin, visit https://adamlevin.com/about/
Call for Listener Stories
Hey Profit Boss® Radio listeners! If you reach a financial goal you’re proud of, tell me about it! I will continue to share listener win stories throughout 2019. Remember, the Profit Boss® community is here to support you and that includes celebrating with you when you accomplish something incredible.
- If you crush a specific financial goal, I want to hear from you.
- If you’re thankful for something that has happened in your financial life or career, I want to hear from you.
- If you are making big financial or career plans, I want to hear from you!
Your financial success is possible and so many of you are already making that a reality! So, don’t keep your wins to yourself! Share them with me so that I can air them throughout the year on Profit Boss® Radio.
Email your audio clip to email@example.com. And we’ll be in touch if we plan to air your story. Thanks, ladies!
And let’s not forget that this show is powered by you and your stories and questions. Every month I’ll be doing an #AskHilary episode where I answer listener financial questions.
- So, what’s that top of mind money question that’s been pinging around in your brain?
- Where have you been stopped?
- What have you been arguing with your spouse or significant other about?
- What tip or tool aren’t you sure about?
- Do you have questions about saving? Spending? Budgeting? Investing?
Pick up your mobile phone right now. Yes, right now. And open your voice recorder app. Yep, go ahead and open that app and record yourself asking me that question. Just say your name, first name only is okay, and then what city you’re from, and then ask away.
Anything you want to ask. And once you’re done recording, export that beautiful little recording and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. I can’t wait to hear your questions!
Enjoy The Show?
- Be sure to subscribe to Profit Boss® Weekly so that you get our latest announcements, offers, articles, and resources straight to your inbox!
- Don't miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review on iTunes and share the show with your friends
- Don’t miss out on the 7 Steps to Wealth Audio Guide! It’s free and comes with weekly emails that walk you through each step.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
Hendershott Wealth Management, LLC and Profit Boss® Radio do not make specific investment recommendations on Profit Boss® Radio or in any public media. Any specific mentions of funds or investments are strictly for illustrative purposes only and should not be taken as investment advice or acted upon by individual investors. The opinions expressed in this episode are those of Hilary Hendershott, CFP®, MBA.