Welcome to episode 147 of Profit Boss® Radio! In this episode, I had the opportunity to interview Chris Farrell. Chris is an economics editor with Bloomberg and a senior contributor with NPR Marketplace. He brings a great perspective on purpose and careers regardless of your age.
According to Farrell, creativity isn’t a skill you lose. If you are creative in your 20s, you can still be creative in your 60s as long as you are given the opportunity. Even though many people retire from the workforce at 55 and older, they oftentimes still feel that they have so much to offer and aren’t ready to hang their hat up completely. It should come as no surprise that many retirees still want to live productive lives – one that is purposeful and meaningful.
Join us for today’s episode as Chris and I discuss how your second half of life can be just as fulfilling as your first half. Tune in to find out how you can create income and purpose in your life no matter your age.
Here’s what you’ll find out in this week’s episode of Profit Boss® Radio
- How retirement benefit packages are designed for older employees
- How multi-generational teams can be effective
- What sort of possibilities exist in your second half of life
- Why it is so important to have a career that engages your skills and purpose
- Some creative ways to fulfill your purpose without needing to further your education
- Reasons why self-employment and entrepreneurship is on the rise
- How social isolation is a dangerous aspect of aging
- Why age discrimination is wrong and pervasive
- Examples of ageism in the workplace and how to address them
- The ways certain industries are benefiting from employing older workers
- Why diversity and inclusion should include experience
- BONUS! MoneyWise Segment: 4 Tips for Avoiding a Will or Trust Contest
- What is a will contest and how you can avoid it
- Why it is important to make your family aware of your estate plan
- Why it is important to keep your estate plan up to date
- How making money later in life can be great for your household balance sheet
- The importance of thinking, “What is next” for your next season of life
- What the most valuable asset is of someone that is 55 and older
- How your network can open opportunities for you
- Examples of people that have transitioned into new employment opportunities in their second half of life
Resources and Related Profit Boss® Content Mentioned in this Episode
Call for Listener Stories
Hey Profit Boss® Radio listeners! If you reach a financial goal you’re proud of, tell me about it! I will continue to share listener win stories throughout 2019. Remember, the Profit Boss® community is here to support you and that includes celebrating with you when you accomplish something incredible.
- If you crush a specific financial goal, I want to hear from you.
- If you’re thankful for something that has happened in your financial life or career, I want to hear from you.
- If you are making big financial or career plans, I want to hear from you!
Your financial success is possible and so many of you are already making that a reality! So, don’t keep your wins to yourself! Share them with me so that I can air them throughout the year on Profit Boss® Radio.
Email your audio clip to firstname.lastname@example.org. And we’ll be in touch if we plan to air your story. Thanks, ladies!
And let’s not forget that this show is powered by you and your stories and questions. Every month I’ll be doing an #AskHilary episode where I answer listener financial questions.
- So, what’s that top of mind money question that’s been pinging around in your brain?
- Where have you been stopped?
- What have you been arguing with your spouse or significant other about?
- What tip or tool aren’t you sure about?
- Do you have questions about saving? Spending? Budgeting? Investing?
Pick up your mobile phone right now. Yes, right now. And open your voice recorder app. Yep, go ahead and open that app and record yourself asking me that question. Just say your name, first name only is okay, and then what city you’re from, and then ask away.
Anything you want to ask. And once you’re done recording, export that beautiful little recording and email it to email@example.com. I can’t wait to hear your questions!
Enjoy The Show?
- Be sure to subscribe to Profit Boss® Weekly so that you get our latest announcements, offers, articles, and resources straight to your inbox!
- Don't miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes and share the show with your friends
- Don’t miss out on the 7 Steps to Wealth Audio Guide! It’s free and comes with weekly emails that walk you through each step.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
Hendershott Wealth Management, LLC and Profit Boss® Radio do not make specific investment recommendations on Profit Boss® Radio or in any public media. Any specific mentions of funds or investments are strictly for illustrative purposes only and should not be taken as investment advice or acted upon by individual investors. The opinions expressed in this episode are those of Hilary Hendershott, CFP®, MBA.