EP 119 | Profit Boss® Radio
Profit Boss® Radio listener stories are some of the most inspiring and, yet, pragmatic financial experiences I am privileged to cover on the show.
Today’s Listener Series episode features Jenna Missanelli. She bravely shares her story about how financial infidelity in her marriage contributed to her eventual divorce and how her financial recovery has completely transformed the second half of her life.
Her story is not dissimilar to others who face financial strife in their own relationships. No matter what you have been through or are going through, Jenna’s story is a reminder to us all that there is always hope to turn our circumstances around and reach financial success
Tune in to this week’s installment of Profit Boss® Radio to hear her powerful story and the biggest financial lessons she learned from her journey.
What You’ll Learn from This Episode
- What financial infidelity is and how Jenna came to discover it in her marriage
- Which of the 7 Steps of Wealth Jenna’s story embodies
- The circumstances leading up to Jenna deciding, “Enough is enough!”
- Why financial infidelity can’t be ignored and how it can poison all aspects of life
- In hindsight, what Jenna would have done differently regarding managing finances with her spouse
- The biggest lessons Jenna learned from her experience
- How Jenna transformed her life and how she manages her finances today
- Financial disciplines Jenna lives by today that all Profit Boss® Radio listeners can also use
Brief Summary of Jenna’s Story
Jenna’s story is one that you will want to listen to. What you’ll find out when you tune in to my interview with her is that Jenna was pregnant with her second child and applying for a mortgage for a larger home to accommodate her growing family when she discovered financial infidelity in her marriage: her husband was not managing the finances the way she was led to believe.
Over the five years that followed her discovery, Jenna was confronted with a difficult situation that involved lies, broken promises, misleading information, damaged credit, financial dysfunction, damaged personal relationships, and emotional abuse.
When Jenna questioned the clear financial mismanagement, she was made to feel like she didn’t know what she was talking about. And even after Jenna tried to help them overcome financial distress with the help of both their parents, things just continued to unravel. Jenna came to realize that she couldn’t live this way. After enough time, Jenna realized the only thing she could do was to remove herself from her marriage and the destructive financial path it had set her on.
You’ll hear the details of what consisted of the financial infidelity in her relationship, as well as the biggest lessons she learned from her experience. Some of the biggest takeaways Jenna shares in this episode:
- How she addressed four of the 7 Steps to Wealth:
- DECIDE: Jenna decided that she wasn’t going to put up with financial infidelity anymore.
- SPEAK: Hear Jenna’s empowered language about money and how she learned to start talking about her finances.
- PLAN: Jenna planned how she would pay down debt (and stuck to it)
- ASK: Jenna realized what she needed in her life and made it happen through a series of powerful conversations and decisions.
- The importance of being involved and aware of finances – and to take control of your financial education
- How the assumption her husband would handle the finances for her family like her father had done helped lead to her being detached from the finances for so long
- How she dug herself out of debt by working with a credit repair company and working with her mortgage company
- Why she doesn’t use credit cards anymore and how she lives in a cash-positive state now
- How she brings in more income to cover the extra little things she wants to do in her life
- Why being patient is so important to sticking with a financial plan
- What is helping Jenna sleep better at night in this new life she has created for herself and children.
Resources and References Related to this Episode
- Sign Up to receive our FREE audio guide 7 Steps to Wealth!
- Find out about Ignite Investing – our special program for women ready to start investing!
- EP 16 | Profit Boss® Radio | Financial Planning for Couples
- EP 20 | Profit Boss® Radio | Divorce Advice: Conscious Uncoupling with Helene Taylor, Esq.
- EP 29 | Profit Boss® Radio | Why I Ended My Engagement Over Money & Debt with Leslie Tayne, Esq.
- EP 44 | Profit Boss® Radio | How to Recover from $28k of Debt & Two Bad Marriages with Everyday Heroine with Cassie Crossley
- EP 51 | Profit Boss® Radio | Freeing Yourself from the Prison of Debt with Everyday Heroine, Kelly
And let’s not forget that this show is powered by you and your stories and questions. Every month I’ll be doing an #AskHilary episode where I answer listener financial questions.
- So, what’s that top of mind money question that’s been pinging around in your brain?
- Where have you been stopped?
- What have you been arguing with your spouse or significant other about?
- What tip or tool aren’t you sure about?
- Do you have questions about saving? Spending? Budgeting? Investing?
Pick up your mobile phone right now. Yes, right now. And open your voice recorder app. Yep, go ahead and open that app and record yourself asking me that question. Just say your name, first name only is okay, and then what city you’re from, and then ask away.
Anything you want to ask. And once you’re done recording, export that beautiful little recording and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I can’t wait to hear your questions. The next #AskHilary episode will take place in Episode #121 on October 9.
Enjoy The Show?
- Be sure to subscribe to Profit Boss® Weekly so that you get our latest announcements, offers, articles, and resources straight to your inbox!
- Don't miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Vote for Profit Boss® Radio at the 9th Annual Plutus Awards here!
- Leave us a review in iTunes and share the show with your friends
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!